   Re: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

  • To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names
  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:23:32 -0700
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

David Carlisle wrote:

> There is an existing plan to update the ISO/IEC entity definitions with
> canonical Unicode mappings and hopefully this could be the basis for
> finally acheiving some interoperability for entity references.

Yes, all the other problems you mention aside, it would be more
user-friendly if there were a single agreed-upon place to go and find
the names of all the agreed-on precooked entities.

Is there any realistic expectation of when this is apt to be done?

> Currently the ISO/IEC 9573 draft just includes the names in previous
> editions of  ISO/IEC 9573 or 8879 but extending it to include all names
> in html as well would be a distict possibility. As I comment above there
> are some issues relating to HTML compatibility that arise when trying to
> merge an ISO (or MathML) set with HTML but it would be better to sort
> that out just once, in the ISO spec than everyonone having to do it
> separately.

Absolutely.

--
Cheers, Tim Bray (http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)