   Re: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> I'm still not convinced. These two documents are the same:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <root><</root>
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8+names"?>
> <root>&lt;</root>

No, in UTF-8+names, &lt; isn't a predefined replacement - remember, it
knows about the ones from HTML & MathML, but not the XML magic five; so
these two docs are entirely different.  The second one would be accepted
by an XML processor.

> Or am I missing something?

I think so.  Which probably means the documentation has to be clearer
about this.
--
Cheers, Tim Bray (http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)