   RE: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

But if an XML processor understands UTF-8+names, it will invoke the
UTF-8+names codec to translate from bytes to Unicode characters.  Since the
bytes  0x26 0x26 0x3E  decode as  AMPERSAND, this is the character that the
XML processor will see.  This  AMPERSAND  will be (rightly) interpreted as
the beginning of an entity reference or numeric character reference in those
cases.

(If the XML processor does not understand UTF-8+names, it will encounter all
those     things in the document and will not know what to do with
them.  So we are certainly under the assumption that the XML processor is
aware of the  encoding="utf-8+names"  and understands it, therefore the
previous paragraph stands.)

Alessandro