   RE: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

I have another problem with it.

In UTF-8 and UTF-16, there is a single bit pattern for each Unicode
character.  UTF-8+names introduces a kind of non-canonicality in the
encoding itself, which concerns me a little.

There are two cases:

1) a character such as  NON-BREAK SPACE  can be encoded in two different
ways, either as in UTF-8, or as the replacement   0x26 0x6E 0x62 0x73 0x70
0x3B

2) AMPERSAND can be encoded in two different ways, either as in UTF-8, or as
the replacement   0x26 0x26 0x3B

While (1) is always true for all characters that have a replacement defined
for them (except AMPERSAND), (2) is true if and only if the AMPERSAND is NOT
followed by certain characters and then by a SEMICOLON, the entire sequence
being the same as one of the defined replacements.

This lack of canonicality in the encoding implies that a conversion from
UTF-8 (or UTF-16) to UTF-8+names does not always produce the same result for
the same input.

Also, I wonder about current XML tools.  If a program uses an internal
representation of Unicode characters, how should it generate a UTF-8+names
encoding?  Unlike the characters that make up entity references and numeric
character references (which are individual Unicode characters), the *bytes*
that make up the replacement names of UTF-8+names are not individual Unicode
characters and so don't have a representation as such.

If you view an XML document as a string of Unicode characters, the entity
references and numeric character references are there, but the UTF-8+names
replacements are not there (they are resolved on decoding and are generated
on encoding).

I think the introduction of UTF-8+names would be a *big* change indeed, with
a serious impact on existing XML tools and (some) applications.

Alessandro