   RE: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

Joern Clausen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I think Simon St.Laurent's reply was the most useful up to now.
>
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 03:36:25PM +0100, Bill de hÓra wrote:
> >  o know whether the current MathML/HTML4 sets are sufficient; ie
> > are we going to need to reversion this in couple of years to cater
> > for ogham?
>
> Of course they are not sufficient. They cover only a fragment
> of characters defined by Unicode.
>
> One possibility might be to use the names from the Unicode
> code charts, like &hebrew-letter-yod; or &lao-letter-do;.
> Think of them as ad-hoc entities, if you like.
>
> Now, if entities only were allowed to have namespaces
> assigned to them, then you could say
>
> <foo xmlns:unc="some-uri-for-unicode">&unc:hebrew-letter-yod;</foo>
>
> and they wouldn't collide with your own entities, as someone
> already pointed out.

I think this comes very close to what I said, that the problem should be
solved at the XML level, not at the encoding level.  Your proposal would
work with encoding="utf-8" and encoding="utf-16".  The knowledge of the
names and the ability to resolve them into characters would be attributed to
the XML processor rather than to a codec.

Alessandro