   RE: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

> That is to say, I can see non-XML applications finding it handy to be
> able to say "Martin Dürst said so." but I don't see a common use
> case for "Clearly in this case Ir < Is", unless you're
> headed for XML.

When will it be handy?

I could see it being handy if it encoded allowed any Unicode character
to be represented using ASCII characters, because that would enable me
to enter Unicode at a keyboard. But it only allows some Unicode
characters, and I still need a UTF-8 aware editor to enter the others!

So (a) why not make it ASCII-based rather than UTF-8 based, and (b) why
not allow numeric character references to be expanded for the characters
that don't have names?

Michael Kay