   Re: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

Joern Clausen <joern@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> wrote at Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:16:43 +0200:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 03:36:25PM +0100, Bill de hÓra wrote:
> >  o know whether the current MathML/HTML4 sets are sufficient; ie
> > are we going to need to reversion this in couple of years to cater
> > for ogham?
>
> Of course they are not sufficient. They cover only a fragment of
> characters defined by Unicode.
>
> One possibility might be to use the names from the Unicode code charts,
> like &hebrew-letter-yod; or &lao-letter-do;. Think of them as ad-hoc
> entities, if you like.

A.k.a. the DSSSL approach.

However, there are frequent additions to Unicode, so you'd be faced
with an ever-increasing set of names that you'd expect software to
cope with.

Regards,

Tony Graham
XML Technology Center - Dublin
Sun Microsystems Ireland Ltd                       Phone: +353 1 8199708
Hamilton House, East Point Business Park, Dublin 3            x(70)19708