From: "Alessandro Triglia" <sandro@mclink.it>
To: "'Bob Foster'" <bob@objfac.com>; "'Tim Bray'" <tbray@textuality.com>;
"'Miles Sabin'" <miles@milessabin.com>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 6:17 PM
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

I have another comment.

What is that those users have actually been asking for?  What is their
actual need?  Do they want to be able to display and/or enter a rare
character when using a user interface that doesn't support that character
directly?

If so, isn't this entirely a software issue?  Can't existing XML browsers
and editors just be extended so as to support *names* for characters, and we
leave the encodings alone?

For example, if I want to enter a ?   (the cyrillic character) using a
keyboard that does not support cyrillic, I can currently use some
OS-specific means (say, the character map applet in Windows plus a
copy/paste).    If an XML editor had the inherent ability to accept any
Unicode character by opening a dialog box showing a list of Unicode names,
that would be sufficient for many purposes.  Likewise, if an XML viewer had
the ability to display the Unicode name of a rare Unicode character when the
cursor is above a character, that could be sufficient for many purposes.
If some program needs to cope with display hardware that doesn't know how to
display a  ? , the software itself can be written so as to show the Unicode
name of the ?  (CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER SHCHA) or some shorter local
designation, instead of a small square.

Recalling one of the cases mentioned, can't an XML editor (as a
product-specific feature) allow the user to enter  something like   &nbsp;
and change it on the fly to the Unicode character   NON-BREAK SPACE
depending on the context?  Can't this XML editor subsequently display a tool
tip over the character?   Do we really need to  *encode*  the NON-BREAK
SPACE  as a byte sequence  & n b s p ;   ?

What fraction of those use cases would be left out, if the issue were
regarded as a software issue?

Alessandro