   RE: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

Why would it show up as "ü"? I agree with Alessandro and James here, it doesn't seem that your proposal does what you think it does.

> I basically agree.  Lots of people out there don't, last time
> I checked the HTML Working Group was still officially
> outraged that the schema meta-designers of the world (e.g.
> you :)) were steadfastly refusing to go near entities.

Entities have nothing to do with schemas. It's bad enough that W3C XML Schema conflated typing and validation let alone people requesting that it also does character replacement, this is definitely fish and bicycles territory. I don't see why the XHTML people aren't satisfied with using DTDs. Is placing a header at the top of a file such a problem? Or is the problem with XHTML fragments?

> But
> given that I recently figured out how to do this stuff in
> Emacs, I suspect the days when everyone will have the
> necessary gear are coming fast.

If I edit my XML using Word 2003 I don't have these problems. I type in "Über-XML God" and don't have to worry about the fact the character is not on my keyboard. If Word can be made into an XML editor that hides such from the user I don't see why full fledged XML tool cannot.

> The +names proposal is the only thing I could think of that had
> the remotest hope of giving them what they want and actually
> getting implemented.

Getting implemented by whom?

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
In a fight between you and the world-bet on the world.