   Request for Erratum to XML 1.0 and 1.1 Specs

I have just sent this off to the XML Editor mail list. I encourage
anyone who thinks it
is good or bad (or who just thinks there should be something but doesn't
care what)
to also send to them.

It also raises an interesting question: the XML spec is written in
draconian terms with,
nominally, very few options. Yet SAX 2, the almost universally deployed
parser
interface, is highly parameterizable with features, handlers and
properties. So it
cannot be too tragic to accept that some systems may need to bend
certain rules,
without altering the basic definitions.

Rick

Request for Erratum to XML 1.0 and 1.1 Specs
Rick Jelliffe, ricko@topologi.com, 2003-10-21

I request the XML Working Group please consider the following erratum
to XML 1.0 which should also apply to XML 1.1.

The following two paragraphs, or something to the same effect, should be
appended to section 5.1 "Validating and Non-Validating Processors"

"A non-validating processor may, at user option, imply definitions for
all the character entities defined by HTML 4[1]. A document or entity
for which definitions are implied is not well-formed. The processor must
report a non-fatal error. NOTE: The document is 'not well-formed but
processed'. Reliance on this feature by specifications is deprecated;
this option may be withdrawn at some
future time should it prove dangerous."

"A non-validating processor which provides the HTML 4
definitions may, at user option, also imply definitions for other
Math ML and ISO standard sets[2]. A processor must report a non-fatal
error. The document is 'not well-formed but processed'. NOTE: Reliance
on this feature by specifications is deprecated; this option may be
withdrawn at some future time should it prove dangerous."

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/entities.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/chapter6.html#chars_entity-tables

This suggested erratum has the following characteristics:

1) It does not require any change to any XML processor
2) It does not change the basic XML characteristic that the
only way to guarantee information is received at the other
end is to use a UTF-* encoding, no entities and no attribute
defaulting.
3) It maintains the current layering, ao no re-architecting
or change in design is needed
4) It keeps the XML specification as the location on how to
go from characters to data+markup.

5) It does not make any existing valid XML document invalid
6) It does not make any existing invalid XML document valid
7) It does not make any existing WF document or entity non-WF
8) It does not make any existing non-WF document formally WF

9) It does allow the continued non-validating processing of
documents which are non-WF only because they contain standard