   Re: [xml-dev] Alternative "character entity" proposal

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Alternative "character entity" proposal
  • From: Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:31:22 +0100 (BST)
  • Cc:

>But surely before we can consider syntaxes for defining entities you
>need to get XML Core Group to reconsider making an non-dtd defined
>entity ref a validity rather than WF error. If &eacute; is a fatal
>error, no proposed definition mechanism will work..

That's why the XML version number would have to be changed, say to 2.0.

Making undefined entities a validity error in order to allow
experimentation would reduce interoperability.  I don't really see any
advantage to it over just doing those experiments with non-conforming
processors.  You don't need the XML Core Group's permission to do that :-)

-- Richard