   Re: [xml-dev] syntax, model

On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 03:48  PM, James Clark wrote:

>   If it doesn't have any prose, I'm going
> to have to guess the semantics; if it doesn't have a schema, it's very
> likely I'm going to have to guess some syntactic details.

You notice that James' comment assumes, as something too obvious to
need an explanation, that "semantics" is something that is typically a
function of human language.  To that I would add compiled code; along
with a schema and narrative, it would be great to have some working
software that did something useful with the new language.  I regularly
get emails from strangers telling me about this Terribly Important new
XML language they've cooked up, to which the standard rejoinder is "get
in touch when you have some software to show me."

  -Tim