   RE: [xml-dev] syntax, model

  • To: "Liam Quin" <liam@w3.org>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] syntax, model
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:33:41 -0700

________________________________

From: Liam Quin [mailto:liam@w3.org]
Sent: Fri 10/24/2003 4:29 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:19:19AM -0700, Jeff Lowery wrote:
> So if you took the verbiage of the Data Model, distilled it into formal
> symbolic description in a suitably expressive language, and then used that
> for validating purported Xpath/Xquery data models, whould that be a called a
> schema?

In some sense, anything that constrains or describes the structure of a
formal system can be called a Schema, but in the context of xml-dev I
think people usually mean a Schema that constrains or describes a family
of XML documents.  Your example would not be a Schema over XML, but
instead it would be a Schema of XML Data Model Instances, which is not
at all the same thing.

[Dare Obasanjo] Using that logic then there is no such thing as a schema over XML. Every XML schema language I have seen operates on some abstraction of XML documents it's just that some go as far as to formally define this abstraction (i.e. the XML infoset) while in others it is implied.