   Re: [xml-dev] can you use inheritance (extension) in relax ng?

mc@xegesis.org (Michael Champion) writes:
>So, what reason could open source projects or
>startup companies not have for building, say, a RelaxNG-powered Office
>2003 plugin that lets one take advantage of the MS XML capabilities
>without forcing them to endure the pain of W3C XSD for no gain (e.g.,
>in the world of documents as opposed to data)?

While the .NET architecture is pretty open, I don't believe the Office
environment is nearly as open.  .NET and Office are also pretty separate
at the moment, though bridges between them are opening.  I also suspect
that there'd be a lot to replace inside of Word/Excel/Access - they
aren't exactly renowned for their open modular frameworks, either. Given
a certain amount of openness on the Office side, this sounds great, but
I haven't seen it there, at least not yet.

I strongly encourage the development of more RELAX NG tools in .NET, but
it may be a long while before such tools can have influence on Office,
whether or not Microsoft and the Open Source community like each other.