Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft Hypes Up XUL As The Greatest Expiriment Since Adam And Eve

Hi Didier,

> At first, by the tone of the message, I thought that
> it was an ironic view of the new longhorn trend.

  No, I wasn't kidding. Microsoft wants to take over
the internet by simply turning Windows Longhorn itself
into a browser that use its own next-gen markup
languages that go way beyond the W3C standards.

> Moreover, I think that the declarative programming
> influence won't stop at Microsoft.
> Usually, the open source developers are
> closely following what Microsoft is doing.

  You must be kidding. Microsoft rips off the Free
World. It's not the other way round. The Free World
leads and Microsoft follows.

  Another great rip-off example of the self-proclaimed
Microsft innovation hot house is MSBuild. MSBuild is a
XML scriptable build system upcoming in Longhorn.

  For some insight who steals and plunders using the
motto "Freedom To Innovate" check out Ant online @
http://ant.apache.org or Maven @
http://maven.apache.org

> I expect to see XML based
> languages like perhaps XUL to
> be included in gnome or KDE.

  Well, you might wonna check out the XUL News Wire to
see that all is already well underway. Here are some
highlights:

  * KSVG will ship with Linux KDE Desktop 3.2
    online @
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/112

  * KDevelop Delivers First XUL IDE For C++ and KDE/Qt

    online @
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/88

  * KaXul and Uxul: XUL for the KDE Linux Desktop
Upcoming
    online @
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/32

  * and many more

> However, if Gnome and
> KDE use the same language
> as Microsoft, the impact would even be greater and
> would probably put some
> W3C technologies out of the picture. Strategically,
> both KDE and Gnome
> should also "embrace and expand" to gain some market
> share.

  Using the new Microsoft formats is a dead end. Why
reinvent XHTML for rich text? Why reinvent SVG for
graphics?

  All you need to do is add XUL (XML UI Language) as
an umbrella markup, ditch the useless namespache
bloat, clean-up XForms and you're ready to go.

  I'm advocating this approach for years now. For a
starter check out my VanX talk slides titled "The
Future of the Web: Rich Clients, Rich Browsers, Rich
Portals:  A Look at XUL, XForms, XWT, Curl and other
emerging technologies" online @
http://luxor-xul.sourceforge.net/talk/vanx-mar-2003/slides.html

> So yes, indeed, the impacts are potentially huge.
> Expect to see in the near
> future a lot of analyst report telling us the impact
> of longhorn.

  I agree the impact is huge. The Future of the
Internet is at stake. Microsoft just kicked of a new
browser war. This time it's about markup languages for
desktops. It's the Free World vs. Microsoft Inc.

 Guess who will win?

  - Gerald