Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft Hypes Up XUL As The Greatest Expiriment Since Adam And Eve

At 10:23 AM -0500 10/28/03, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

Hmm.  I thought Microsoft looked stupid for integrating presentation
information directly with the markup rather than accepting what I see as
a much more manageable CSS-based approach.

Good point. It might be interesting to store all the presentation information in a separate document, but I think here it's at least arguable that the presentation is a large part of the content. Therefore it's OK to mix. This is even clearer with SVG and XSL-FO where appearance is precisely what is being described by the content. XUL/XAML is a more borderline case though, and it might be interesting to modify the appearance of a GUI by attaching a different CSS stylesheet.

The examples of XUL and XAML presented here both mix presentation information directly with the markup. Neither is superior in this regard. Thus, to the extent that CSS is directly embedded in the structure here, for good or bad, XAML's syntax is more appropriate than XUL's.
--

  Elliotte Rusty Harold
  elharo@metalab.unc.edu