   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!) and Bin

On Saturday, Nov 1, 2003, at 20:20 America/Detroit, Simon St.Laurent
wrote:

> If some aspect of ASN.1 can cover mixed content and open content
> models,
> I'm happy to welcome it to my regular list of XML schema languages.
> Otherwise, I'll be happy to continue promoting ASN.1 as an
> _alternative_
> to XML, albeit one with ASN.1->XML->ASN.1 interoperability.

Yup, you said clearly what I was stumbling to say.

> I also wish there were open source tools for ASN.1 that just reported
> the contents of an ASN.1 message, more like the open-ended approach
> that
> XML parsers have generally taken.

Trouble is, you can't make sense of an ASN.1 message without having the
schema, and I mean the EXACT schema, used to generate it.  That's
(oops, smell of impending flames <grin>) the value proposition for XML
in a nutshell, IMHO, and why it is used in all those projects Simon
mentioned where ASN.1 is, on paper, better suited.