   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!) and Bin

mc@xegesis.org (Michael Champion) writes:
>Is it just me, or does this seem to be in rather sharp contradiction to
>the assertions about the primacy of syntax in Real World, scalable
>systems that the TAG seems to want to make?

No, I think it doesn't make much impact on that.

The TAG is (at least in theory) responsible for the Web, where I think
the assertions Tim's made have held up very well.  Developers want
direct access to information, low learning curves, and don't spend time
developing specific protocols for their work.  New formats over existing
protocols is as far as I think you can go and still have much to do with
the Web.

I support ASN.1 for the cases where people are willing to go to a much
greater level of effort.  I don't generally find ASN.1 appropriate for
the Web ecology in particular, though maybe it can play a role.