   Re: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!) and Bi

On Monday, Nov 3, 2003, at 16:24 America/Detroit, Bullard, Claude L
(Len) wrote:

>  XAML with its extensibility perfectly reproduce
> the HyTime inheritable architectures and the GUI language of
> the US Navy MID.  Had we stopped at HTML we would be dead. If
> we refuse to enable XML inheritable architectures, we are dead.
>
> To have a future, pioneers must secure it.  Next time anyone
> on the list wants to have a gratuitous go at the SGMLers and
> HyTimers, keep in mind, they really were more advanced and
> ultimately right.

Well, Microsoft is making their customers subjects in a massive
experiment to see if HTML is a dead end and HyTime-style inheritable
architectures are the wave of the future.  I for one plan to reserve
judgment on the outcome until the results are in.  We shall see whether
the world is ready for a "Looks Best in Longhorn" campaign to undercut
the standards that brought us to where we are today in the name of a
"better" tomorrow.

I'm intrigued by the rant in
http://w-uh.com/index.cgi/articles/031102-emperors_new_code.html --
XAML, etc. are about making it easier for developers to write code, not
about making the code work better for end users.  Will consumers trade
in their Mac, Palm, etc. systems (not to mention legacy Windows
systems) so that software developers can have an easier life?  Maybe,
if the applications really are a lot better, but we shall see about
that.