   Re: [xml-dev] Why I Like Longhorn and XAML

On Nov 4, 2003, at 9:18 PM, Didier PH Martin wrote:
> Didier replies:
> I think Simon, that the whole industry needs a wake up call. We are
> actually
> in the dot com aftermath and our industry turned into a sleeping
> beauty.
> Some challenge should be taken with enthusiasm. If the competition
> cannot
> respond to what Microsoft is offering, what can we do?

Umm, this seems to confirm Tim Bray's "cui bono" suspicions.  Does the
IT industry need a Next Big Thing, or are end users suffering real
pains that Avalon, etc. cure?  I'm wide open to being persuaded that
HTML sucks as  a UI, but I'm just seeing "oooh, cool" and "we need
something new" and "disagreement is ludicrous" arguments.

> Obviously, we need to move away from the "mainframe model" as offered
> today.
> Web applications sucks. It is time to go beyond the 3270 terminal
> world and
> bring back some fun doing cool and _usable_ applications. I doubt that
> the
> actual "constantly refresh your page" paradigm reached usability
> summits.
>
> I guess that Sun won't sleep for too long and will offer a similar
> declarative programming environment to be added to their actual
> framework.

And then in 5 years someone else will counter with an "efficient
procedural programming environment that YOU control" or whatever.  The
declarative - procedural war has been going on for at abut 30 years
now, and it will probably go on after there is peace in the Middle East
and the US has paid off the national debt.  (i.e., forever).