len

From: Pete Kirkham [mailto:pete.kirkham@baesystems.com]

Conversely to Len's example of X3D, streaming media players support
mechanisms to
plug in decoders for formats they don't recognise.

If the encoding was expressed in suitable form, then that could be retrieved
and
compiled instead having a library of native decoders. Such a mechanism would
also
allow any XML encoding of the same data, and shift the encoding of data as
attribute or element into the encoding rules rather than using [ATTRIBUTE]
or list
inline - in effect making ENCODING-CONTROL XER pluggable but with alias,
ordering
and graph serialisation controls. Kind of like architectural forms but with
ASN.1's
binary formats (and possibly other text formats) thrown in free.

Since one of the projects I work on has to support legacy text files, random

formats from other tools, its own XMI data and SOAP messages (which are
essentially
aliases of each other), I can think of one use case for plugging encodings
like
this; but at the moment someone ends up writing the encoder manually, rather
it
being generated off a concrete syntax description.