   RE: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!)and Bina

John Cowan wrote:

> Alaric B Snell scripsit:
>
> > The ASN.1 'equivelant' of a normal XML parser would just need to
> > support
> > BER, which is the current conventional "minimal" encoding. An ASN.1
> > toolkit that supported "BER, PER, CER, DER, XER, and
> probably LWER, OER,
> > and SER" would be more closely related to an XML parser
> that supported
> > US-ASCII, UTF-8, UTF-7, UTF-16, EBCDIC, ISO-8859-[1..15],
> Shift-JIS,
> > Baudot, etc...
>
> Hardly.  Except for some feedback from the encoding
> declaration, which can be handled by a sniffer, charset
> decoding is a completely separate layer from parsing in XML.

I agree with you here.

This has the following implication:  When using BER or PER, you don't need
to understand many different possible character encodings.   When using XER,
you do, because the encoding is XML 1.0.

> The differences between BER, PER, and XER parsing are so
> profound as to cause the three parsers to have essentially
> nothing in common.
>
> When using XER, is one constrained to a specific encoding?

Yes and no.  Encoders must use UTF-8, but there is a requirement for
decoders to be "non-validating XML processors", which implies a requirement
for understanding both UTF-8 and UTF-16.

> Also, I'm curious about which encoding-rules transformations
> one can perform without knowledge of the schema:
>
> BER to PER?
> XER to PER?
> BER to XER?
> XER to BER?

None.  You always need the schema.

For parsing PER you absolutely need the schema.  For *parsing* BER you don't
need the schema, but there is very little you can do with it without the
schema, especially when "implicit tagging" is used.

For parsing XER, you don't *need* the schema.  Using ASN.1 with XML is much
like using XML Schema - you can use the schema either just for validation
purposes or for generating program structures to support data binding.

Alessandro Triglia