   RE: [xml-dev] ASN.1 is an XML Schema Language (Fix those lists!)and Bina

> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Michael Kay wrote:
>
> >   0.  XML parser @ $0.00 vs. ASN.1 parser @ $50,000.00
> >
> > The other reasons are completely irrelevant.
>
> Michael, which ASN.1 parser costs $50,000?  That is how much the RETIX
> toolkit cost 15 years ago (single license!), but I am not aware of any
> ASN.1 product that costs that much nowadays.  Today most ASN.1 tools are
> in the $2,000 - $10,000 range.
>
> As the size of the market for ASN.1 tools has increased over time,
> competition has been driven up, which has driven prices down to the point
> where they are today.  The size of the XML market is much larger than the
> traditional ASN.1 market, so you can expect to see sharply reduced prices
> with the increased demand.

Michael (and others),

while reading this discussion about XML and ASN.1, it appears that most people think ASN.1 tools are very expensive and thus
inadapted to a large community of users. This is NOT true, there ARE already low cost ASN.1 tools.
The following is not advertisement for our products but just to make the idea ASN.1 is expansive less strong. uniGone is selling
ASN.1 products dedicated for modern platforms Java and .NET-C#. Our commercial policy has always been made so that people can find
the best commercial solution for their technical needs (free runtime distribution policy for example, selling of ready-made
customized APIs to avoid the purchase of an Asn1Compiler...). People can benefit of professional tools with professional support at
really low price (just for example the first price of an Asn1API is 600€-Euros - less than $700). Of course, we are playing in a
limited market today but if the potential ASN.1 market grows the ASN.1 tools prices will surely be lower...

Besides, one must not think there are only few ASN.1 tools, just have a look at http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/links/index.htm for
professional tools and at http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/tools/index.htm for some free products...

I sincerely apologize for giving prices here but this is done with willingness to make people think differently about ASN.1
providing real world examples.

Bruno KONIK - uniGone