   RE: [xml-dev] SAX for Binary Encodings (preserving investment) (ASN.1 an

bob@wyman.us (Bob Wyman) writes:
>What is the proper forum in which to hash out the details of
>such a type-rich interface for a "SAX 3"? Is it this group (xml-dev)?
>Or somewhere else? Given that we can see that there are already two
>commercial vendors working on SAX interfaces for the ASN.1 defined
>types, and given that a such an interface will be needed/required by
>*any* SAX interface to binary encodings, it probably makes sense for
>us to define the interface we want as soon as possible so that we
>don't end up stuck with the inevitable confusion that comes from
>competing solutions.

I think you'll likely find massive opposition to such a thing, both here
and at saxproject.org.

I'd curse it thoroughly and stop promoting SAX for XML work if it were
to appear.  You may want to reconsider this proposal if you want ASN.1
taken seriously by people whose primary focus is XML.

Remember, you're coming to XML asking for changes to its infrastructure.
XML isn't particularly asking for anything from ASN.1.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!