   Re: [xml-dev] SAX for Binary Encodings (SAD-SAX)

Bob Wyman wrote:

> 	Add two feature flags to the XMLReader implementation:
> 	http://wyman.com/sax/features/callbackCharacters (default =
> TRUE)
> 	http://wyman.com/sax/features/callbackValues (default = FALSE)

> 	If callbackCharacters is True, then XML reader appears to be
> 100% SAX2 compliant. If false, then XMLReader should not callback to
> characters. If callbackValues is True, then callback to it whenever
> SAX2 would have normally calledback to characters. If both are true,
> then callback to both but do characters first. If neither is true,
> then don't do anything.

That doesn't sound simple.

> 	What is it about this proposal that generates the heat?
> Obviously, I'm missing something here. Please try to explain the issue
> as clearly as you can.

SAX2 is designed to process XML. XML is encoded with Unicode. Your
proposal is trying to work around that.

> Personally, I think it is pretty simple, clean
> and obvious... To me it "looks like SAX"...

Hmm. Some people think the Infoset looks like XML - that doesn't
make it so.

> And, as Amelia demands, it
> is not defined "in terms of WXS" or any other type system. This is
> good since SAX shouldn't be encumbered with the debate over these type
> systems. Let those battles happen elsewhere.

I think the issue is that some are wondering why SAX ought to be
encumbered with non-Unicode forms for Infosets.

Bill de hÓra
--
Technical Architect
Propylon