   RE: [xml-dev] SAX for Binary Encodings (SAD-SAX)

At 1:06 PM -0500 11/8/03, Bob Wyman wrote:
>Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>>  What you are proposing is a bullet aimed at
>>  the heart of XML.
>	This isn't even vaguely true. What I am proposing actually has
>absolutely *nothing* to do with XML at all! As you correctly say: "All
>data in an XML document is text." Thus, any discussion of something
>other than text cannot be a discussion of XML. This is simple logic.

Fine. I didn't think you realized that. Since you do, I can stop
worrying about that and simply ask that you allow SAX to be the best
API it can be for XML, and not pollute it with features for
processing non-XML formats. Different tools for different tasks. One
size does not fit all. There's no one uber-API to rule them all.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu