   RE: [xml-dev] SAX for Binary Encodings (preserving investment) (ASN.1 an

Bob Wyman wrote:

> I argue that if something is
> marked to be an attribute when converted to XML, then it
> should be marked as an attribute when it is passed through an
> interface like SAX which is commonly used to process XML-like
> data. If this were not the case, then binary data would look
> different to the user of SAX when it was read directly via
> SAX rather than being read from a chunk of XML written by the
> XML encoder. This would be silly and unproductive.

I absolutely agree.  Another way of saying this is that the stream of SAX
callbacks coming from parsing/decoding an encoding of ASN.1 (BER, PER,
EXTENDED-XER) has to be exactly the same stream, for a given schema and a
given instance, regardless of the encoding rules in use (BER, PER,
EXTENDED-XER), and has to be the same stream as would be generated by a
"normal" SAX parser parsing the XML document.  It must be possible to
replace a normal SAX parser used by an application with an ASN.1
parser/decoder for either XML or binary encodings with minimum changes to
the application code.  This will give us the interoperability we need
between the two worlds.

Alessandro Triglia