   Inside Redhell: Microsoft XAML Blogger Round-Up

Hi,

  Allow me to offer fresh insight into Microsoft's
latest XAML world domination scheme and highlight some
blog quotes from Microsoft Avalon Team members
collected for the XUL News Wire story titled "Inside
Redhell: Microsoft XAML Blogger Round-Up".

   First to show off Microsoft's duplicity let's bring
on some "innocent" Microsoft employees wondering why
the Free World is outraged about XAML:

  Dare Obasanjo (Microsoft .Net XML Program Manager):

   I'm very curious as to where this XAML is intended
to replace HTML meme started. All I've ever heard
about XAML is that it is the new way to write Windows
client apps.

   Chris Anderson (Microsoft Core Avalon Developer):

  I'm a bit confused by the concern that Microsoft is
somehow trying to threaten or take over the web with
the introduction of a markup language to program
Windows applications. XAML is a new programming model
for the next release of Windows, code named
"Longhorn". That's it.

   Don Box (Microsoft XML Architect):

   XAML is just an XML-based way to wire up CLR types
no more no less...  XAML is domain-neutral, so while
it may be used to create desktop apps, web pages, and
printable documents, it could also be used to create
CRM apps, blogging backends, or highly concurrent web
services.

   Now onto the quote collection:

  Joe Beda (Avalon Core Graphics Developer):

  Our rendering model is very much like that of SVG.

  Our markup isn't the same mostly because XAML is a
direct reflection of the programming model.

  Our object model (OM) doesn't match the SVG DOM
because we choose to go with an object model that more
closely matches what *we think* our users expect.

  XHTML and SVG both have image elements.  We avoid
this duplicity.  Text is another area where we avoid a
large amount of duplication.

  Zhanbo Sun (Avalon Team Member):
  ================================

  A Longhorn [XAML] application can run inside or
outside Internet Explorer. The support for the new
programming model is implemented by Avalon rather than
by Internet Explorer. Technically speaking, Internet
Explorer serves as the host when HelloPDC.xaml runs.

  Rob Relyea (Avalon Program Manager, XAML "spec
owner", Avalon Architect Team Member)

  XAML is a markup language that can be used on
Longhorn for many things including creating desktop
apps, web pages, and printable documents.

  Chris Anderson (Avalon Core Developer, Avalon
Architect Team Member)

  We are past the world of generating static snapshots
of display and blasting them down to a client.

  My not-to-hidden agenda here is simple - dynamic
applications should be dynamic on the client. The
server should send data - either through web services,
database access, or any other wire protocol - and the
client should consume that data and generate UI. The
model of a server trying to generate the correct
display for a client is just broken.

  Full story, more links and quotes online @
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/146

  If I missed any priceless Microsoft quotes, please
let me know.

  - Gerald

PS: Here's a last bonus quote from Robert Scoble
answering the question why Microsoft doesn't invest in
open standards.

 We're not a charity. We are investing billions of
dollars in our technology and our shareholders want a
return on investment.

 2847 Microsoft patents and counting.