   RE: [xml-dev] Inside Redhell: Microsoft XAML Blogger Round-Up

No, it represents interests just as any other does.  MS is a
multitude of internal groups, each vying for a place on that
desktop.  I am as aware of the standards that have been created
in this field as any person on this list.  I've seen good and
bad, timely and untimely, risky and safe.  Microsoft is quite
sincere about their technology.  They are sincere enough to
produce the best innovations they can, to cherry pick and
to provide their customers what is needed: value.

MS has yet to say, but I suspect they will take XAML, fully
proven as they did with C# to a standards organization. We
can influence that decision and the choices made in those
organizations.  Or not.

I am a believer in democracy and openness.  I am also aware
that I do not live in a democracy, but in a republic.  I
am a student of history and know that democracies are unstable
forms of governing in some historical settings and that
despots, particularly the form inherited from the eastern
countries by the Roman empire, thrived.  I know that the fall
of that empire was not due to its form of governing but that
the rulers did not see the danger of having large city
populations that took product from the countryside without
themselves being productive and that the instrument of their
domination, the Roman legions, became less and less Roman
and more dominated by the local populations whose allegiance
to Rome was indefinite and weak and that the cost of
maintaining these while simultaneously maintaining very
large unproductive city populations eventually sapped
the strength of the empire by depleting its resources
without refurbishing them.  I understand that those
societies that choose openness have always had to face
up to the challenge of closed societies that could
cherry pick their work.  I also know that there are
no designs presented from the groups making so much
noise at the moment that are truly original, so it
comes down to fielding and implementation.  Those are
the market forces.  If you think history teaches or
informs, study it well.  It predicts XAML will succeed
not because of conspiratorial forces, but because it is the
surface language for a complete integrated architecture
even if it is not itself terribly novel.

We can make intelligent choices.  One of them could be
to pursue a standard for rich client applications in a
legitimate international standards organization instead
of a self-serving consortium.  The standard exists. ISO ISMID.
But it is friendless.

Perhaps you might want to look at it and ask yourself why,
then review your history and philosophy.  It isn't as clear
as one might propose.  Perhaps the trouble at our door is
not of Microsoft's making, but our own lack of clarity and
purpose.

len