   RE: [xml-dev] Inside Redhell: Microsoft XAML Blogger Round-Up

Oh.  Ok.  They reacted by building a faster and better browser
than Netscape and giving it away just as Netscape did.  They
also strong armed the packaging and got bit for that. Now they
are facing innovation pressure from the likes of Opera, thus,
they are about to offer an upgrade for features such as pop-up
ad blocking.  I personally don't think they will be able to
not improve IE because Opera isn't going away and the Mozies
are relentless.  They could at some point, just let them have
the browser market but I don't think that likely either because
that screws up the "you can develop for the browser by just
recompiling" strategy.  Given how much the Mozies hate Microsoft,
they would quickly stick it to Redmond with incompatibilities just
as MS did. The only difference is the Mozies would brag about it
in public where the 'softies called it 'enhancement'.

Nope, MS gets to lug around some version of IE until the sun becomes a
dwarf.  XAML is a new client type that can use web services. It
lives and dies on its own merits, but again, the principle of
independent invention says rich clients are valid.  We'll see
how well they sell and if standardization happens.  I think it
will. The question is where and when.

The sad thing about the Spy Vs Spy game is that no matter how
long these antagonists played, no matter how dire the revenge
or clever the conspiracy, in the next issue of MAD, they played again.
Sometimes black won; sometimes white, but they are eternal.

The cycle is endless and perhaps is meant to be.

len

From: Rich Salz [mailto:rsalz@datapower.com]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> It would be interesting if true.  It isn't true.

It's more than just O/S.  Part of the early postings on this thread were
about the browser-as-platform and how Redmond reacted to that threat.