   RE: [xml-dev] Microsoft FUD on binary XML...

OK, so you are just saying that XML people should care more about ASN.1
and should work better with ASN.1?  This is not such a bad opinion, but
one for which I don't have a ton of sympathy.  This is just because from
my perspective and the perspective of most customers I've worked with,
ASN.1 doesn't have a ton of relevance to the apps they are building with
XML, and there is no real demand to make them work together.  The vast
majority of them want XML and CSV to work better together, and some of
them want XML and IIOP/RMI/DCOM to work better together, and many even
want to see XML and EDIFACT work better together.  But I can honestly
say I have not seen a single legitimate customer scenario where they
wanted ASN.1 and XML to work better together.  Your experience may
differ...

I would also say I think that we need to be very cautious about assuming
that the world needs both a binary and text encoding -- people gripe
about parse speed of XML as if it will be faster when it's binary, and I
think this is incorrect from two perspectives -- first is that we have
shown XML-oriented protocols to be faster than binary in many cases, and
second because there is still tons of room for improvement in text
parsing speeds (the fact that gen 1 of XML parsers is slow simply proves
that they are gen 1 parsers, not that text is inherently slower than
binary).