   DDF, ISO 8211

We've all had fun discussing binary formats and their relationship to
XML, and here I've stumbled into working with yet another binary format.

US Geological Survey data seems to come packed in DDF (Data Descriptive
Files) files, something defined by yet another ISO spec, 8211, according
to the SDTS (Spatial Data Transfer Standard) standard.

For more on what these look like, see:

http://www.3dartist.com/WP/sdts/sdtsnotes.htm

For my own perverse reasons, I'm writing a parser which reads these
things and spits out SAX events for the records they contain.  Is anyone
aware of prior work?

(Anyone who's been following the ASN.1/XML discussion may find DDF
interesting as yet another parallel universe of generic data format
decisions.)

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!