   RE: [xml-dev] Re: XML and a text editor, barefoot in the winter,uphill b

  • To: <vdv@dyomedea.com>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Re: XML and a text editor, barefoot in the winter,uphill both ways [...]
  • From: <Ari.Nordstrom@sorman.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:53:37 +0100

Eric van der Vlist wrote...
> Ari,
>
> On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 11:16, Ari.Nordstrom@sorman.com wrote:

<snip>

> > And while we're discussing the topic, does anyone know if there's a
> > decent XML editor available for Linux (and I don't mean emacs)?
>
> I have the same problem and have found XMLMind XML Editor (XXE) quite
> decent. Even if not free as free speech, it's free as free beer and it
> works beautifully on Linux.
>
> http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/

Thanks for the tip. My (Linux) problem is that I run Debian and Java's non-free software. Not that I'm a fanatic--I'm not--but it's not trivial to get a working JVM in Debian without breaking the way things are done in it. It's solvable, though.

> > Your upcoming RELAX NG book? When?
>
> Pretty soon I hope...

This is good to know. I know what I want for Christmas now. :-)

> I must confess I have written most of the book using a wiki
> wiki web and
> transformed the whole stuff into DocBook through XSLT and
> that's been an
> interesting experience!

I can imagine...

> > This _is_ sad. I'd rather go with FrameMaker than touch
> Word. It gives
> > me the creeps.
>
> If I write yet another book for O'Reilly, I'll probably try either
> editing DocBook through XXE or using Open Office and transform it into
> DocBook.

I was thinking along those lines, too, but I sort of hoped that someone would take the time to either write a dedicated (c++ based) XML editor for Linux, or write an OpenOfiice module...

> I am already producing NITF documents out of Open Office for XMLfr and
> that's working fine.

Well, I like OpenOfiice so it's certainly a way to go.

Best,

/Ari