   Re: [xml-dev] Relating to XML

Baiss Magnusson wrote:
> My problem with <RecipeML> is, IMO, that it violates
> Model-View-Controller (MVC) programming in that it combines data
> description and data display in one document.

I'm not sure why you think this is the case. Looking at the RecipeML
example at http://www.formatdata.com/recipeml/examples/hoax.xml, the XML
file deswcibes the recipe data (title, ingredients, directions), while
the CSS stylesheet dessert1.css describes how to format a recipe in a
browser. That seems like Model-View separation to me.

> I have no interest in the CSS or the display criteria of a recipeML
> recipe, I just want the data.

Note that the XML processing instruction "<?xml-stylesheet ... ?>" is
only a hint for applications processing the application that the
referenced stylesheet may be useful. It's not mandatory, and if it is
present, applications are free to ignore it.

> I'm willing to acknowledge that there is a use for RecipeML, I just
> don't see it as apropos to a XML definition for recipes.

Perhaps you can explain the shortcomings you see in a little more detail.

Jim