   RE: [xml-dev] RE : [xml-dev] Comparison of Xml documents

Bob Wyman wrote:

> Bob Foster wrote:
> > In ASN.1, does SET mean that order is both lexically
> > and semantically insignificant (as it does in
> > mathematics)?
> For more information on ASN.1, I suggest you take a look at:
> X.680. You can find it at:
> http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/
>
> The definition of Sequence and Set types from that document
> are below:
>     "3.6.60 sequence types: Types defined by referencing a
> fixed, ordered list of types (some of which may be declared
> to be optional); each value of the sequence type is an
> ordered list of values, one from each component type.
> NOTE – Where a component type is declared to be optional, a
> value of the sequence type need not contain a value of that
> component type."
>     "3.6.64 set types: Types defined by referencing a fixed,
> unordered, list of types (some of which may be declared to be
> optional); each value in the set type is an unordered list of
> values, one from each component type. NOTE – Where a
> component type is declared to be optional, a value of the set
> type need not contain a value of that component type."
>
> SET and SEQUENCE in ASN.1 are statements about the permited
> lexical order of elements. In such cases that I've seen
> significance given to order, it has been done in
> specifications that accompany or incorporate the ASN.1
> definitions. However, the rules for Canonical and
> Distinguished encoding both require that the elements of SETs
> are, in fact, ordered according to their tag numbers. Thus,
> any semantic significance of order would be discarded if SETs
> were encoded with CER or DER.

I disagree on this particular view.

There cannot be any significance in the order of a SET (OF).  The fact that DER/CER "remove" the freedom of order of BER indicates precisely that a SET (OF) is inherently unordered at the abstract level.  Encoder's options (such as the SET component order in BER or the attribute order in EXTENDED-XER) cannot be used to convey any semantic significance.  They are there just for convenience.  They carry zero bits of information, they are pure entropy.

Alessandro