   RE: [xml-dev] Microsoft FUD on binary XML...

Robin Berjon wrote:
> Alaric B Snell wrote:
> > Jonathan Borden wrote:
> >> On the contrary, I'd say that only those folks who are
> concerned with
> >> binary goo are concerned with encodings. Folks that deal
> with text,
> >> i.e. XML, don't generally have to be concerned (to a significant
> >> extent) with encodings, which is the *big win* of XML.
> >
> > Hmm? XML is just an encoding.
>
> Well, no, it's not. It it were, you'd be able to get two
> people to agree
> on the answer to the "of what?" question. XML is just a syntax.

As I said in my previous email, I actually agree.  XML is just a syntax,
which **can be used** as an encoding of something, **as is done in ASN.1**.

> Maybe
> your application layer uses XML to encode some information,

In the case of ASN.1, it is not the application layer that uses XML to
encode information.  It is the standard XML encoding rules (EXTENDED-XER)
that use XML to encode the instances of abstract types.

> but that is
> your application's problem, not XML's.

If ASN.1 is not used, it is an application problem.

Alessandro