   Re: [xml-dev] RNG more popular with doc heads and XSD with data heads?

DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO) wrote:

> I saw someone (don't remember who) make the generalization recently that
> RELAX NG is gaining in popularity with people doing XML work with
> irregularly structured documents that would end up being published in some
> medium or other (the "doc heads"), and that W3C Schemas are more entrenched
> with the XML developers doing systems involved in more transactional
> processes such as web services and database interaction ("data heads"). Does
> anyone strongly agree or disagree with this?

I believe you are referring to a response by Dare Obesanjo (sp?) to some
questions I had.

> An important auxiliary question: how many large publishing organizations
> (i.e. doc heads with lots of documents) have 1. made a strong commitment to
> XSD, 2. made a strong commitment to RNG, or 3. are still sticking with DTDs?

Well, we may not fall under 'large publ orgs' but we do publish a great
deal to HTML for the web.

For our CMS, I initially started using an RNG schema for content and
transforming it to JavaScript objects for client side schema validated
editing. It was a maintenence nightmare.

When MS announced they were going to allow XSD validated editing in Word
and I knew I could use MSXML's SOM in IE for validated editing, I
switched to XSD. Using MSXML's SOM in IE has been *much* easier to
maintain than transforming RNG to JS. If clients want to use MSWord11 to
edit the content they can (no one has yet). This has been a simple(?)
business decision.

If there was some kind of SOM for RNG available in browsers, I would
seriously consider switching (not as a plugin, though).

best,
-Rob

Sometimes you follow your heart. Sometimes your heart cuts a fart.
-Tenacious D