   Re: [xml-dev] Expert's advice needed about XML Schema and definin g some

On Dec 5, 2003, at 3:36 AM, Barwell Jonathan wrote:

> I wonder whether you are actually using the right technologies to
> solve your problems.  In essence you are trying to design a relational
> database using XML.

I had the same reaction to the original post.  As useful as XML is for
lots of things, one needs to guard against the temptation to see  nails
that need pounding simply because one has a hammer.  XML per se has no
notion of cross-document referential integrity nor does XPath/XSLT 1.x
have the notion of a join.  Obviously these are two great strengths of
the relational approach.

To the extent that other aspects of the situation here demand an XML
approach, XSLT 2.0 / XQuery joins across two documents seem like a more
natural fit than trying to coerce the data into a single document where
DTD/Schema id/idref constraints can apply.  True those are not mature
Recommendations, but there is a lot of software out there that supports
them, from industrial strength XML servers to open source.  Saxon might
be the best tool with which to start experimenting.