   Re: [xml-dev] When Searching With Google

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 02:07:33PM +0000, Bill de hÓra wrote:
[of Google result pages...]
> I'd love to know what fraction of people click past page 3, or even
> page 1.

Quite a lot seem to judging by my personal web server's refer logs;
the page number is included in the "referring URI".

People quite often look at several pages on my site for the same search,
and disturbingly often then browse around for a few minutes, coming
back later on with another match for the same search, or a slightly
different search.  I wish I could ask those people exactly what
they were looking for, although one of the most common queries that
I get hits for (with pictures of ruined castles mostly) is simply
    pictures
where I suspect someone was bored :-)

Liam

PS: the pictures of ruined castles (and other engravings and woodcuts
    from old books) are at
    http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/pictures/oldbooks/
    in case you're wondering!  Coming shortly is an XML Query-powered
    interface to search by keyword & depicted location.

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/