   RE: [xml-dev] When Searching With Google

I think Len is arguing that if we know more about how google searches, we
can interpret the results more.. such as in germany, I get german pages
etc..

I think several techniques used by google are kind of known..?? for
example, we know that it uses page rank, text in anchor tags, tf-idf etc..
but we do not know the exact numbers, and we do not know other metrics
used etc..

I think the question is: has google crossed the line with respect to what
is proprietary and what is disclosed. I think Len argues that it has..

To me, actually, I do not like too much non-determinism in the results
that I see.. I think google has crossed the line with the non-determinism
seen by the user, and user-based adaptivity.. they are using wrong
metrics..??  Irrespective of where I am, I need the same results.. I think
language etc should be handled differently..???

After hearing that google uses user-based adaptivity, and that they are
detecting user characteristics automatically.. I think that is not a
correct approach.. google always maintained they wanted to keep things
simple.. I think this is not keeping things simple... but what is
alternative approach??

as someone pointed out, we can go out google.com/ncr to get the same
results irrespective of our location??

Also Diddier, thanks for the pointer..

best, murali.