   RE: [xml-dev] When Searching With Google

Many thanks for the link, Chris, and welcome to the list.

"Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page
receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages
that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other
pages "important.""

It is difficult to consider a system democratic
if it only counts "important" votes.  Republican,
yes, but democratic, no.

Then there is this:

"Google's complex, automated methods make human tampering with our results
extremely difficult. And though we do run relevant ads above and next to our
results, Google does not sell placement within the results themselves (i.e.,
no one can buy a higher PageRank)."

That conflicts with two other items I've seen:

1.  Phrase selling.  How does that work and what does
it do to the returns?  Does it only affect ad placement?

2.  Use of Open Directory Project.  Humans create these.
Since I don't know what use they make of ODP, this one
is a mystery.

"A Google search is an easy, honest and objective way to find high-quality
websites with information relevant to your search."

True, but with ease comes filtering.

len

From: Strolia-Davis Christopher Contr MSG/MAT

I apologize if I am bringing up anything new here.  I just joined the list
today, and I have only caught the last few messages in this thread.

In any case, I thought this link might be useful, as it gives a good
abstract as to how Google prioritizes search results.

http://www.google.com/technology/index.html