   Re: [xml-dev] The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint

At 12:42 15.12.2003, G. Ken Holman wrote:
>>What is the "cognitive style" of writing documents in XML vs. PowerPoint,
>>Word, or FrameMaker?
>
>Isn't cognitive style based on the nature of the information rather than
>the tool being used?

I think of cognitive style as the way in which a person perceives available
information, which affects teaching and learning.

David Shapiro, in Neurotic Styles, gives an example something like this:
suppose a conductor, a recording engineer, a music historian, a composer,
and a flute player are all listening to the same recording of the
Brandenburg Concerto #2. They may be hearing very different aspects of the
performance. In the book, he goes on to describe how neurotic styles of
information processing can lead people to experiencing very different
realities.

Jonathan