   Re: [xml-dev] The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint

jcowan@reutershealth.com wrote:

> Jonathan Robie scripsit:
>
>>I just finished presenting an 8 hour tutorial and two presentations using
>>PowerPoint at a conference where they strongly prefer that we write our
>>presentations in XML.
>

> I did too, but I used XML, namely OpenOffice.org Impress.
>

>>What is the "cognitive style" of writing documents in XML vs. PowerPoint,
>>Word, or FrameMaker? Do the tools we use to write affect the way we think?
>

> It's not at that level: it's about bullet-point lists, really.

Well, it is and it isn't.  It is also that

1) Powerpoint makes it so very easy to bang out lousy bullet-point
lists, and

2) Powerpoint comes with built-in templates that may have some gripping
factor when seen the first time but that accentuate the poor qualities
of so many of these presentations.

Tufte's argument is in part that PP's ubiiquity and the ease with which
it is able to produce junk, have lead to the widespread notion that that
kind of junk is actually the preferred way to communicate.  It gets
built into corporate standards and expectations.

Cheers,

Tom P