   Re: [xml-dev] FYI: E-Business MoU resolutions, RELAX NG, ASN.1,and XSD

  • To: "Paul Sandoz" <Paul.Sandoz@Sun.COM>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] FYI: E-Business MoU resolutions, RELAX NG, ASN.1,and XSD
  • From: "Mark Seaborne" <mseaborne@origoservices.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:20:04 +0000

> From: "Paul Sandoz" <Paul.Sandoz@Sun.COM>
> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:49:57 +0000
> To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
> Subject: [xml-dev] FYI: E-Business MoU resolutions, RELAX NG, ASN.1, and XSD
>
> Hi,
>
> Electronic Business/Electronic Commerce Memo of Understanding on
> eBusiness Standards has some interesting resolutions/recommendations
> from a recent meeting on the 11th of December [1]:
>

> --------------
>
> 02/07 (6.4 of N0113): It is recommended that RELAX NG, ASN.1, and XSD be
> considered as important and to some extent complementary candidates for
> XML schema definitions.
>
> 02/08 (6.4 of N0113): It is recommended that groups producing XML
> schemas for E-business should consider parallel specification using at
> least two of the above in order to maximize the tools available to
> developers, and in order to benefit from efficient binary encoding
> (currently available only in ASN.1).

The organisation I work for produces XML schemas for e-business use, and we
have come to similar conclusions ourselves with regard to schema languages.

Do you know if any suggestions made as to how the schema languages could be
packaged sensibly?

The approach we are adopting is slightly different to the above, in that we
are looking at using XForms constraints to add the bits of expressiveness
lacking in XSD. XForms constraints allow you to define rules based on XPath
expressions. The nice thing about using an XForms model, is that it is
already designed to reference WXS schemas, and clearly defines how schema
and XForms constraints should be combined to validate an instance.

Of course, if you combine the model with XForms form controls, you can very
easily build a simple form that tells you whether an instance is valid or
not. This is nice for people implementing services based on our message
standards.

Ideally we would like to be able to do as suggested at the meeting you are
reporting on, and package schemas expressed in different languages.

All the best

Mark

The information in this email is sent in confidence for the addressee only
and may be legally privileged.  Unauthorised recipients must preserve this
confidentiality and should please advise the sender immediately of the error
in transmission.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken in reliance on its content is
prohibited and may be unlawful.

Origo Services Ltd accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage
resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this email or the contents.