   Re: [xml-dev] The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint

Benjamin Franz scripsit:

> No. _Simple arithmetic_ can be performed (wheezingly, painfully, by the
> hair of your teeth) with Roman numerals. Mathematics would be impossibly
> painful. And was.

And in fact the Romans and their successors didn't use Roman numerals to
do calculations, only to record their results.  Actual calculation was
performed on digital computers (and I don't mean fingers, although doubtless
there was some of that, too).

> The two interact and
> shape each other in deep and fundamental ways. Far from being the
> 'master', thought is engaged in an ongoing symbiotic dance with its tools.

Hear, hear.

--
"[T]he Unicode Standard does not encode         John Cowan
idiosyncratic, personal, novel, or private      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan