   Re: [xml-dev] Adam Bosworth's XML 2003 Address - Reaction

On Dec 18, 2003, at 8:52 PM, Chiusano Joseph wrote:

> I must admit that I was curiously puzzled by Adam Bosworth's XML 2003
> address in which he emphasized the need for us to return to simplicity
> regarding the current wave of existing/emerging Web Services standards.
> Was anyone else? Given that BEA is an author/co-author of many of these
> emerging specs [1] (WS-Coordination/Transaction, WS-Acknowledgement,
> etc.), there appears to be a dichotomy here. Or is there?

I was there, and have wondered about this.   I suspect that Bosworth is
calling it as he sees it, perhaps realizing that frankness about truths
that will soon be obvious to everyone is the best route to credibility.
  [1]

Anyway, "simplicity" is now apparently part of BEA's marketing message.
  See
http://www.bea.com/framework.jsp?CNT=pr01192.htm&FP=/content/
news_events/press_releases/2003  "BEA agrees with our customers that
infrastructure shouldn’t be as difficult to manage as it currently is
today, and that standards are a means to helping reduce that
complexity."

Not that this promises the "SOAP cookie" that Bosworth said their
customers really want in their heart of hearts :-)

[1] I get a lot of feedback that various permutations of a "there's
ain't no such thing as magic, and we don't try to sell it to you"
slide/speech that I often slip into presentations helps give
credibility to the other stuff I say.