   Re: [xml-dev] repercussions

On Dec 19, 2003, at 12:29 PM, Tim Bray wrote:

> It is now crystal-clear that allowing qnames to escape from element &
> attribute names into content was a terrible mistake that we're now
> stuck with forever.  I struggled against this idea but lost.  -Tim

Well, we're not stuck with these things "forever."  If they are really
lorts more trouble than they are worth, Father Darwin will fix them by
killing them off, sooner or later .... the trouble is that He will
"fix" a lot of other stuff that might be valuable while He is at it,
maybe including XML itself.

The question in my mind is whether the W3C (or a hypothetical "XML
Interoperability Organization" since I'll bet heavily that W3C won't
touch it) should try to fix it in a more surgical way before things
start getting really ugly?  Or should we just trust evolution to sort
it all out in the long run?