   Re: [xml-dev] patterns and restrictions

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] patterns and restrictions
  • From: David Tolpin <dvd@davidashen.net>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:24:46 +0400 (AMT)

> Your analysis is correct.  Pattern is indeed unusual in the manner you
> describe.  It's inclusion was debated quite a bit during the design of XML
> schema, because having constraints at two levels can complicate the use of
> XML schema for certain purpose.  For example, it's straightforward to
> validate a string using your "01" pattern for integer.  What's not so
> straightforward is to serialize an "int" stored in your program into a
> string that matches the pattern.  Few systems will (or should) even try,
> except perhaps for the simplest patterns.

My feeling is that every facet is unusual. For example, is '0.0' a canonical
form for decimal zero? Decimal point is required according to the specification.

If the decimal point is required, how can 'integer' be derived from 'decimal'?

If the decimal point is not required, but the canonical form for '0.00' is '0.0',
what is the number of totalDigits?

Is it the same as '0'

How many digits are in decimal '0'?

David Tolpin