   Re: [xml-dev] Invalid attribute names

Looks like a bug in RUWF. IE 6.0 flags the error:

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource
'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/511251/My Documents/TEMP.xml'. Line
2, Position 12

<attribute :test="test"></attribute>
-----------^

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

Jerry Sheehan wrote:

> Does anyone know if an xml well-formedness checker needs to check for
> invalid attribute names or not?
>
> From what I have found so far:
> A tag attribute name must begin with a letter (i.e., upper or lower
> case A through Z) and can only consist of letters, digits (i.e., 0
> through 9) and the hyphen, period, colon and underscore characters
> (i.e., "-", ".", ":" and "_" respectively).
>
> However, this simple test at,
> ( http://www.xml.com/pub/a/tools/ruwf/check.html) passes this simple
> xml file
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <attribute :test="test"></attribute>
>

> So I guess my question is whether or not a xml editor is required to
> even check this or not? The fact that a colon is the first character
> in the attribute name seems to be illegal.
>
> Thank you very much

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano