   Re: [xml-dev] Invalid attribute names

At 18:42 31.12.2003, you wrote:
>But Namespaces in XML redefined what you could use as an attribute name:
>
>[12]     Attribute      ::=     NSAttName Eq AttValue
>                                        | QName Eq AttValue     [
>NSC: Prefix Declared ]
>
>NSAttName is defines the magic xmlns attributes so let's take the QName
>alternative:
>
>[6]     QName      ::=     (Prefix ':')? LocalPart
>[7]     Prefix     ::=     NCName
>[8]     LocalPart     ::=     NCName
>
>Notice the colon is attached to the optional prefix. The LocalPart, being
>an NCName, can no longer contain colons:
>
>[4]     NCName      ::=     (Letter | '_') (NCNameChar)*     /*     An XML
>Name, minus the ":" */
>[5]     NCNameChar     ::=     Letter | Digit | '.' | '-' | '_' |
>CombiningChar | Extender
>
>Basically, you can still have a colon in the middle of an attribute name
>(between the prefix and local part) but you can no longer have a colon at
>the beginning of an attribute name since a prefix has to appear before it.
>
>Conclusion: that XML snippet *is* well-formed according to XML 1.0 but
>*not* according to Namespaces in XML. Alas.

Yes, you're right.
Running RXP with -Ns option catches this too (it seems that IE does this by
default)

Warning: Attribute name :test has empty prefix
  in unnamed entity at line 3 char 16 of file:///C:/x.xml
Warning: Attribute name :test has unbound prefix
  in unnamed entity at line 3 char 23 of file:///C:/x.xml